At time of writing we have had no takers for the committee/non-committee roles announced vacant which will either immediately or soon require filling on the committee.
There was a very poor turn out for the AGM, and the committee had two very real and urgent concerns that threaten the future of racing at the track to discuss but with lack of attendees nothing could be resolved.
- Firstly they heard our Treasurer report that once again the track league made a loss, around £440 this time.
- Secondly came the all too familiar request for help to run the league, both on the day of racing and also with the day to day tasks that need to be done so that racing happens.
It was a struggle throughout 2022 to get enough volunteers and for the first time ever we had to cancel one night because of this. On top of this we are losing several key members of the committee and the SCRL family this year, some permanently.
- Dave is intending to move away from Sussex in 2023 and whilst staying on as treasurer for this year he won’t be taking on any event day duties which means we need help with sign on, judging and the general maintenance of facilities (race numbers etc).
- Ben is also moving away (it’s a family thing) so whilst he will continue for now as Chief Judge and also Recorder (making sure results are published and tallied up over the season) he may not be able to see the season out and definitely won’t be here in 2024.
- Toby won’t be continuing as “in-person” promoter this year (but can run the back office part for this year only), he tried to step down before last season but had his arm twisted. He is prepared to be at a couple of events for the purposes of training new volunteers but that will be all.
Unfortunately none of the few that attended the AGM felt able to take on any of these roles so 2023 isn’t looking promising.
With that in mind, the committee have decided that none of the racing calendar will be submitted to British Cycling until we at least have commitment to the main roles required for each event in advance.
For now, we have made available signup sheets for our intended Winter Series (see below). All roles need to be filled by lunchtime Friday 20th January or the winter series will not go ahead at all.
There are further issues to discuss regarding the financial feasibility of track league as compared to being subsidised by the circuits but we will see how the winter series goes first. If we can’t run a winter series to subsidise track league the costs for that will go up, probably by at least 50%.
There is another reminder further down the page here about the roles which need filling.
There is a volunteer signup page available for each race (links below) where primary volunteers (non-marshals) can put their name down.
The marshal positions will also require filling prior to the event but these will be on a separate signup sheet closer to the time.
|#1 Feb 19th||https://volunteersignup.org/JQRBK|
|#2 Feb 26th||https://volunteersignup.org/D4DJA|
|#3 Mar 5th||https://volunteersignup.org/P3H3B|
|#4 Mar 12th||https://volunteersignup.org/3RPE8|
|#5 Mar 19th||https://volunteersignup.org/3WP9Q|
|#6 Mar 26th||https://volunteersignup.org/DBJRW|
Remember you won’t be left on your own from the off, you will always be shown what to do, and there is nothing you can do that would cause any serious problems or get you into any kind of trouble if you “do it wrong”.
For fuller descriptions see the volunteer page.
Committee positions are elected representatives. Please contact the committee if you wish to fulfil one of these positions.
- Promoter (Register races with BC, set event schedules etc. Back office role covered this year only but will not be attending events)
- Treasurer (Manage finances including with British Cycling. Back office duties are covered this year only but needs someone to learn the ropes this year to take over)
Non-Committee Back Office Positions
- Facilities manager (Help manage equipment at the track, ensure electronic devices are charged, order new equipment).
- Volunteer organiser (Manage the volunteer requirements through the year).
To volunteer for these positions, please contact us.
These are non-committee positions but work best when there is a pool of experienced volunteers who can help train new volunteers.
- *Organiser (General running of the event on the day)
- Sign-On (manage rider sign on, take payments, handout/retrieve numbers)
- Judges and Chief Judges (Judging duties for track and circuits)
*Organisers have to have attended organiser online training with British Cycling and have had the organiser dashboard enabled on their account. If you are interested in this training please contact the promoter.