The League is run over 18 consecutive weeks in the summer from early April to mid August.
Since most of the racing is on fixed wheel bikes (only the under 10 and under 8 ride on freewheel bikes) there is no racing if it is raining or the track is damp from earlier rain.
Each evening there are a number of different races for each age category (see the events calendar for more detail). The evenings typically start with a race for the youngest riders and end with a distance race for the seniors.
Riders acquire league points for being placed in races and at the end of the season the riders with the most points win the prizes.
- In each normal race, league points are awarded as follows:
- 1st 6 points
- 2nd 5 points
- 3rd 4 points
- 4th 3 points
- 5th 2 points
- 6th 1 point
- Championship races are awarded double points, as follows:
- 1st 12 points
- 2nd 10 points
- 3rd 8 points
- 4th 6 points
- 5th 4 points
- 6th 2 points
- The winner of each heat in a sprint competition is awarded 1 point.
- The winner of each heat in a handicap competition is awarded 1 point.
- Where two youth age-groups are combined (e.g. U10/U8 and U16/U14), in scratch races EACH SEPARATE AGE-GROUP is awarded points from 1st to 6th.
- Where two youth age-groups are combined (e.g. U10/U8 and U16/U14), in handicap or block handicap races there is only one set of points awarded for overall placings 1st to 6th.
- 1 point is given to each youth (not riding up) for each evening he/she races.
Each week you race you must sign on. You can either pay the weekly charge or pay a single fee for the season (see fees).
When riding at the track (racing or warming up) you must wear a helmet. You are also advised to wear track-mitts.
Please read the rider briefing document and (you should be given a copy when you first sign on, check the notice board or on the website).